The first class at STBI began with twenty-six students but steadily gained in popularity among those seeking pastoral and ministry training, but also among those in the community seeking higher education from a Christian perspective.
STBI responded to this demand in the fall of 1955 by restructuring to a three-year institute to a four-year. In that same year, the board of trustees voted to change the name of the institution to Gulf-Coast Bible College (GBC). This allowed the school to move toward possible accreditation and the acceptance of GBC credits by other colleges and universities.
The relationship between the college and the Church of God began in June of 1968, when the university was known as Gulf-Coast Bible College, and still located in Houston, Texas. In June of that year, GBC became a general agency of the Church of God (Anderson, IN).
As a result of this action by the General Assembly, the GBC was granted representation on the Executive Council of the Church of God and full membership on the Commission on Higher Education of the Church of God.
In 1983, without sufficient room for expansion at the Houston location, and after a lengthy study of the situation, it was determined that the college should be relocated to Oklahoma City.
May 9, 1984, ground was broken for the new campus, and the new campus dedication occurred September 5-8, 1985.
In recognition of the relocation, the college was renamed: Mid-America Bible College.
As president, Dr. Fozard has played a significant role in securing the financial stability of the university. As further indication of the institution’s growth, the college was renamed Mid-America Christian University in 2002.
Notably, President Fozard has spearheaded an unprecedented recruitment campaign that’s led to a 169% increase in student enrollment between the years of 2009-2012.