Master of Science in Counseling - Marital, Couples, and Family Counseling
Help Support Healthy Relationships and Families with a Degree in Marriage, Couples and Family Counseling
In times of difficulty, families and couples need the guidance of an expert counselor. With a Master of Science (MS) in Marriage, Couples and Family Counseling from Mid-America Christian University, you can fill the vital role of a healer, mediator and guide to those in need. MACU’s nationally recognized program emphasizes Christian values while giving students specialized training to become a competent therapist who is able to treat individuals and families with passion, confidence and patience.
Why pursue a Counseling degree from MACU?
- • We're award-winning! MACU's Counseling degree programs were recently recognized by Study.com as one of the best in the U.S. for educational excellence, affordability and faculty quality. In 2020, Intelligent.com chose our MS in Marriage, Couples and Family Counseling as one of the best online Master's in Marriage and Family Therapy Counsedling degrees in the country.
- • Combine professional critical thinking and a Christian faith-based approach when offering counseling in secular and ministry settings
- • Learn leading-edge mental health theories and treatment approaches from real-world counselors and psychology professionals
- • Gain an understanding of cultural and ethnical differences to help treat sensitive matters
- • Utilize MACU’s Student Services team for tutoring, mentorship, homework help and more
- • Take your classes one at a time, evenings on campus or 100% online
- • Explore career paths as a family and couples therapist or pursue a job in an adoption agency, residential treatment center, social service agency, mental health center and more
Major Course Topics
Interpersonal Communication in the Workplace
This course helps students understand the basic theories and principles associated one-on-one (dyadic) communication. Students will learn to identify the barriers to effective communication; use body language (nonverbal communication) to reinforce the meanings you wish to convey; recognize, appreciate, and work with different personality types; and overcome personal barriers to communicate effectively and persuasively. Classic and emerging theories, as well as "real-life" practice, equip students with the skills of effective interpersonal communication for professional and day-to-day life.
Marital and Family Treatment Techniques
Couples, marital, and family counselors need to be empowered to apply theoretical concepts and develop real-world skills and essential competencies performed in the roles and setting of counseling with a strong understanding of the structures of marriages, couples, and families. Students will be engaged in an active learning process applying family therapy theories using theory-informed case conceptualization, clinical assessment, treatment planning, and progress notes. Students will learn to effectively determine factors to address by identifying clients’ presenting issues in alignment with a set of research-based qualities that promote stable, satisfying, and durable relationships.
Human Sexuality in Counseling
Human sexuality issues will be explored with an emphasis on assessment and intervention in mental health counseling practice. The course is designed for counselors whose work will bring them into contact with clients experiencing problems and concerns with their sexuality.
Clinical Issues of Aging, Death and Dying
Issues of aging, death and dying from a multidisciplinary perspective. This complex field encompasses a wide range of human experiences, emotions, expectations, and realities. This course provides a historical, cultural, biological, sociological, psychological, and spiritual perspective of aging, death, and dying in our society and around the world. Information and skills needed to address ethical and legal concerns related to palliative and end-of-life care will be presented. Palliative care focuses on symptom control and amelioration of suffering, which are often underemphasized in conventional healthcare training.
Our accelerated courses can be completed in as little as five weeks, allowing you to finish your degree quickly. Take one class at a time so you can focus on your career dreams.
With classes available 100% online or one night a week in the evenings, there is always time to fit school into your busy schedule. Our classes utilize a state-of-the art learning management system to help simplify and centralize your education.
MACU tuition costs 20% less than private universities nationwide. We are dedicated to making a great Christian education accessible, so we offer convenient payment plans and other opportunities for financial assistance.