School Counseling Career Opportunities
- School Counselor
- Academic Advisor
- Guidance Counselor
- Academic Counselor
- Career Services Counselor
- Community Mental Health Counselor
- Social Services Manager
- Family Therapist
- Social Worker
- Juvenile Justice Counselor
- Employee Assistance Program Counselor
- Substance Abuse Counselor
- Correctional Treatment Specialist
Earn a Master’s in School Counseling to Provide Vital Support for Students and Families
Do you want to work with students, teachers, and families to improve children’s lives and boost their academic success? With your Master of Education in School Counseling from Mid-America Christian University (MACU) in Oklahoma City, you’ll be ready to expand your impact on the lives of students by providing essential social-emotional support in addition to academic support. Our school counselor degree will also prepare you to add the school counseling certification to your teaching certificate.
When you graduate from MACU’s online master’s in school counseling program you’ll be ready to develop and deliver a responsive, appropriate, and culturally sensitive school counseling curriculum to all students, and construct college and career development initiatives in P-12 schools. With a school counseling degree, you’ll be a valued member of a school’s leadership team. Employment of school and career counselors is projected to grow 11 percent from 2020 to 2030, faster than the average for all occupations, with a median pay of $60,510.
MACU is accredited through the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA)
Be a Life Changer with a Master of Education in School Counseling Degree
Our master’s degree in school counseling program prepares you to demonstrate ethical decision-making and cultural sensitivity, apply the foundational knowledge and skills related to multicultural counseling, and conceptualize student needs within a human development framework that considers cultural and ethnic differences.
Through coursework, you’ll develop the skills necessary to effectively conduct consultations, individual counseling and small-group counseling. You’ll be equipped to apply informal/formal assessments to identify student needs, focus interventions, and evaluate interventions within a school setting. You’ll also learn to evaluate research-based interventions and explain how to lead and evaluate components of an evidence-based comprehensive school counseling program.
At MACU, faith and success go hand-in-hand so each of your courses will be supported by a biblical worldview–preparing you for an impactful career and a Christ-centered life.
M.Ed. School Counseling degree requirements (Total Required Hours: 30 hours)
- COUN 5123 Career Counseling and Development
- COUN 5213 Theories of Counseling and Psychotherapy
- COUN 5713 Human Development*
- COUN 5813 Tests and Measurements
- COUN 6233 Ethics and Professional Studies
- ED 5513 Introduction to Counseling and Guidance
- ED 5533 Advanced Psychology of Learning*
- ED 5523 Intervention Strategies: Academic and Learning*
- ED 6553 Professional Practice
- ED 6653 School Counseling Practicum Capstone
MACU’s Accredited Master’s in School Counseling Online Program: Affordable, Accelerated and Flexible
Busy adults don’t want to choose between working or studying–with MACU’s accelerated advanced degree programs, you can do both. With 20 years of experience in online education, our six-week classes are designed to work around your schedule. Our professors, all with real-life experience in education and school counseling, are committed to providing you with individual attention to help you succeed. Although this degree is offered completely online, select courses may be offered on campus depending on student interest and faculty availability. Here are some of the ways our online classes can help you save money and finish faster:
- 10 percent tuition discount on degree programs for Oklahoma schools’ employees
- Just one class at a time in a consecutive order
- Up to 30 credits for life experience (volunteering, community service, etc.)
- Eligible military service training can be applied as course credits
- Minimal upfront costs, including no initial book fees
- Free placement testing
- Full support–including tutoring and student services
We offer a small teacher-to-student ratio, and our professors do everything they can to make every student feel like they’re part of the MACU community.
MACU Shapes School Counselors with a Christ-centered Perspective
At MACU, we are committed to developing leaders who make a positive impact in the world. While you’re an online adult student at MACU, we encourage you to grow personally, professionally and spiritually. With a Christian perspective, you’ll have the tools to help lead students and others to see God’s will for their academic, personal, educational and career decisions.