Military Benefits and Assistance

Using Tuition Assistance Benefits

As a part of our commitment to military students, MACU and its Office of Military and Veteran Services participates in the Department of Defense Tuition Assistance programs. We serve as a liaison to the DoD in processing tuition assistance and other military educational benefits. Tuition assistance can cover a significant portion of your tuition for a Bachelor's or Master's degree for eligible active duty, reserve and National Guard personnel. Tuition assistance can help make a college education more affordable for you and your family!

Before enrolling in your classes, you may be required to develop an education plan or complete Tuition Assistance orientation. Please keep the following in mind when you apply for enrollment:

  • Military tuition assistance may only be used to pursue degree programs at colleges and universities in the United States that are regionally or nationally accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. You can verify a school's accreditation status by visiting the U.S. Department of Education.
  • Your service's education center must approve your military tuition assistance before you enroll in a course.

Steps to Receiving VA Education Benefits

Step 1: Apply for VA Education Benefits

To learn more and begin your application process for VA Education Benefits, please click here.

  1. If you have previously used VA Education Benefits at another institution, you must submit Change of Program/Place of Training documentation through the Department of Veterans Affairs website. You can access those forms here.
  2. If you have previously utilized benefits at a different educational institution, please complete VA Form 22-1995;
  3. If you are using your VA Education Benefits for the first time, please complete VA Form 22-1990;
  4. If dependents are using your transferred benefits, please complete VA Form 22-1990e;

To apply for The Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA) Program, please complete VA Form 22-5490 for new applications and VA Form 22-5495 for those who previously utilized benefits at another educational institution.

Step 2: Fill out your Student Responsibility Agreement

Every MACU student receiving VA Education Benefits must fill out, update and provide a copy of the SRA at the beginning of the fall and spring semesters along with their VA Educational Update. Please click here to download the SRA.

Step 3: Receive Certification of Your Benefits

Your MACU Student Veteran Advisor will certify your benefits according to your enrollment and billed cost of tuition and required fees. This certification communicates your enrollment and expenses to the VA electronically so they can award your eligible benefits. Please expect a 2-10 week time frame for all benefits to be received.

Please note: If you receive Chapter 30 or 1606, you must complete a Student Verification of Enrollment on the last day of the month. This can be done through the W.A.V.E. portal or by calling 1-877-823-2378.

Step 4: Receive Re-Certification of Your Benefits by Term

To ensure timely awarding of your VA Education Benefits, your MACU Student Veteran Advisor will certify your benefits by term or class (CAGS students). Please notify the MACU Office of Veterans Services of all enrollment changes with as much advance notice as is possible. All class registrations, drops and program changes must be communicated with the MACU Office of Veterans Services immediately.

Top-Up Program

The Top-up program allows funds from the Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty or the Post-9/11 GI Bill to be used for tuition and fees for high-cost courses not fully covered by Tuition Assistance funds.

Eligibility: To use Top-up, your service branch must approve you for Tuition Assistance. You must also be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill or the Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty.

Application: First apply for Tuition Assistance in accordance with the procedures of your service branch. After applying for Tuition Assistance, you will need to complete VA Form 22-1990 to apply for Department of Veterans Affairs education benefits. The form is available online from the VA. Make sure you specify "Top-up" on the application and mail it to one of the education processing offices listed on the form.

Other Supplemental Funding Possibilities

Aside from using the MGIB-AD or Post-9/11 GI Bill for items such as tuition and fees not covered by Tuition Assistance, there are other funding opportunities available to service members, including the following: 
Federal and state financial aid: The federal government provides $150 billion per year in grants, work-study programs and federal loans to college students. The aid comes in various forms, including need-based programs such as Pell grants, subsidized Stafford Loans, Supplemental Educational Opportunity grants and federal work-study programs. You can also get low-interest loans through the federal government. Visit Federal Student Aid to find out more or complete an online application for FAFSA at no cost to you. Please keep FAFSA deadlines in mind.

Important VA Phone Numbers

VA Education Hotline: 1-888-442-4551 
Monthly Verification of Attendance: 1-877-823-2378 
Direct Deposit: 1-877-838-2778 
Other VA Benefits: 1-800-827-1000

Contact MACU

Request Info

We are excited you want to learn more about MACU! We will be in contact with you soon.