Archives: FAQs

  • Can I choose my roommate?

    Yes, you will need to indicate that preference on your Housing Form. In order for your request to be honored, your anticipated roommate will need to make the request as well. You may also indicate your preference in suitemates (who you will share a bathroom with).

  • What if I need special housing accommodations?

    If you need special housing accommodations, please contact our Dean of Student Success, Morgan Thompson at (405) 692-3259 or [email protected].

  • What is the cost to live on campus?

    Please see the Financial Aid page for up-to-date information and scholarship opportunities.

  • Are the halls co-ed?

    Southwest Hall is for female students, McCutcheon Hall is for our male students, and Harrington Hall is co-ed by room assignment.

  • What is the set up in the Residence Halls?

    There are two options for McCutcheon and Southwest. Premium Suites are two double-occupancy rooms connected by a bathroom. Our Grand Suites have a similar layout but also include a common living area which connects both rooms. Harrrington Hall includes 4-bedroom units where each student is assigned a private bedroom and the unit shares the bathroom.

  • How do I get signed up for housing?

    All new students will need to fill out the New Student Housing Form. Housing requests are honored in the order in which they are received (and the student is enrolled).

  • What if I want to commute?

    A student who wants to commute next year AND qualifies based on one of the exemptions below, please have the student fill out the Housing Exemption Form. Residency Requirement Exemptions:

  • How can I get assistance with managing federal loans?

    MACU has teamed up with Solutions at ECMC to answer all of your student loan repayment questions. Solutions is a service of the non-profit organization ECMC and is dedicated to helping students manage educational loans. Their resources are available to you free of charge. To contact a Solutions Student Loan Repayment Advisor, visit or call 1-877-331-3262.

  • What happens when I reach my aggregate loan limit?

    Students who have reached their aggregate loan limit can apply for student loans from an outside source, such as private school loans.

  • When will I receive my overage?

    Once financial aid has been disbursed, the Bursar has three business days to post funds to your student account. If eligible for an overage/refund check, the Bursar has another 14 business days to issue said check. To receive your excess financial aid, you can elect to have it deposited into a checking or savings account (Direct Deposit) or receive…